Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dilled Potato & Cucumber Salad

Dilled Potato Cucumber Salad
1 lb. new potatoes, cut in half or quarters
1/3 cup sour cream
6 cornichons, chopped (about 1/4 cup) cooks note says these are made from gherkins and to substitute gherkins if need be
2 tbs chopped fresh dill
2 tsp. capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
1 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced

Cover potatoes with water, add a good pinch of salt and cook about 10-15 minutes or until done. In the meantime, combine sour cream, cornichons, dill and capers in a bowl. Drain potatoes and return to pot for a minute to dry out slightly. Combine potatoes and cucumbers with sour cream mixture and toss to combine. The recipe didn't say to chill, but I thought cold would be best, so I did.
Though it was good this way, I like to try new things. So, next time, I'm going to make it a little bit differently...I will leave out the gherkins (I never did find cornichons in Rochester!) and add onion. I think tomatoes would be good in here, too.

No comments: